Allan Dehar Memorial Scholarship
Students who are presently enrolled in an architectural program at a Connecticut community college are eligible to apply for this scholarship. In response to the reality that there are multiple pathways for obtaining an architectural education, this scholarship provides an opportunity to assist and to encourage students who are interested in pursuing a career in architecture. Connecticut residents are encouraged to apply.
The Allan Dehar Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in 2020 in memory of Allan Dehar, FAIA. Beginning with humble roots attending trade school followed by attending night school, his work experience included the offices of Eero Saarinen & Associates and Minoru Yamasaki & Associates. He founded his firm, Allan Dehar Associates in New Haven designing significant projects with an emphasis on higher education. His contributions to the profession included serving on the Connecticut Architectural Licensing Board and the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, mentoring high school students through the ACE Mentor Program, and speaking to vocational classes about a career in architecture.
Deadline: April 25, 2022, 11:59pm
To apply for the Allan Dehar Memorial Scholarship submit digitally as per note #6, sequenced in the following order:
- A one-page letter describing your accomplishments, goals, and aspirations.A one-page letter describing your accomplishments, goals, and aspirations.
- A one-to-two-page resume of education, experience, honors, activities, interests and Connecticut affiliation.
- A completed Financial Aid form signed and completed by the Financial Aid office at the institution you are attending. Your school’s Financial Aid Officer must complete the relevant sections and sign the form.
- One exemplary project including description of project, drawings/media depicting project and an explanation of the rationale for your design. Materials will not be returned. (By submitting this application, you grant permission to the Connecticut Architecture Foundation, Inc. to reproduce any or all of your materials for the promotion of its programs.)
- Prepare a single PDF file of all submitted material (in the same sequence as listed above) labeled: 2022 Allan Dehar Scholarship Application file_YOUR NAME. Submit through WeTransfer: https://cafct.wetransfer.com/
- Note that the successful applicant, upon being notified of award, will be expected to provide a portrait photo for news releases, as well as a 1-minute introductory video.
In addition, please note the following:
- Applications must include current email address, contact information and telephone number.
- If confirmation of acceptance of award is not received in writing within 30 days of award notification, the award offering will be revoked.
- If application is incomplete or does not comply with stated requirements, application will be disqualified.
- Applications must be electronically submitted by the deadline date of April 25, 2022.
- 5. Two letters of reference from faculty members of the institution you attend on school stationary are required to be emailed by the references directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline date of April 25, 2022. The name of the applicant is to be included in the subject line as “Re: Applicant’s Name, Connecticut Architecture Foundation: Allan Dehar Scholarship”. Note that references from employers (unless also a faculty member reference) or others will not be accepted.
- Scholarships are awarded for the college academic year and paid by CAF directly to the school. In the event that the student graduates early or leaves school for some other reason, the scholarship will be pro-rated based upon that portion of the school year actually enrolled.
- An award recipient may request a deferment until the following academic year. The deferment request must be prepared and submitted by the award recipient and sent via email to the Executive Director of AIA Connecticut. If approved by CAF, the application will be deferred until the next academic year. The applicant will be notified he or she does not need to reapply but will be required to submit the Deferred Scholarship Reinstatement Form and all award paperwork or decline the deferred award.
Questions? Email email@example.com